Monday, January 30, 2017

Local libraries

I've always found the idea of public libraries truly amazing. I can walk into a building packed to the rafters with book, cds and dvds, and take any I like home me, essentially for as long as I like, to read, listen, watch and otherwise enjoy. And when I'm done, I don't have them cluttering my house --- I just bring them back to the same building (and look for more more things that I might enjoy!). It really is a wonderful, civilized idea.

There are two vibrant public library systems around Notre Dame. The larger, St. Joseph County Public Library, has ten branch around South Bend, and the other, Mishawaka-Penn-Harris Public Library, has three branches around Mishawaka and Granger.  The two main branches --- 304 South Main St. in downtown South Bend (SJCPL) and 209 Lincolnway East in downtown Mishawaka (MPHPL) are the most active.



Later this year, both library systems will get involved in the "One book, one Michiana" project, a month-long series of events built around the theme of a particular book (a different one each year; the one for this coming spring will be announced soon). Notre Dame tends to get involved in this project as well, with numerous events on campus.

To avail of the facilities of the local public library, you don't even need to leave campus to visit a branch, though. You can have an SJCPL library card made up for you at the circulation desk of the Hesburgh Library. You can then order materials online, and pick them and return them at Hesburgh. See here for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment